This smoothie reminds me of coconut vanilla ice cream, it is creamy and luscious but unlike ice cream, this smoothie is highly nutritive and filling. Coconut fat contains high quantities of saturated fats, specifically medium-chain fatty acids or MCT’s.
Not only are MCT’s an efficient form of energy (they bypass normal fatty acid metabolism and immediately get converted to ketones to be used for energy) but they help optimize cholesterol levels, increase how quickly you feel satisfied from a meal, decrease abdominal fat storage, regulate blood sugar and regulate the immune system due to its lauric acid content.
Once digested lauric acid metabolizes into something called monolaurin, which eradicates harmful pathogens that cause infections such as bacteria, fungi or viruses. This recipe makes the perfect breakfast smoothie because its high dose of fat and fiber will keep you satisfied all morning long. But warning: this smoothie may make you daydream of sitting on a beach in Aruba, so make sure you enjoy with someone you love who can pinch you awake so you aren’t late for work!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup frozen coconut chunks
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ½ teaspoon real vanilla bean powder
- 1 scoop collagen protein (maybe 10g tops)
- 1 tablespoon Simply GOODFATS Creamy MCT oil
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- Top with cinnamon and nutmeg
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Best enjoyed cold.