Now that school is back in session and summer vacations are over, we are all settling back into our fall routines. And that can mean busy days and evenings with limited time to cook. That’s why I like meals that are easy to prepare, healthy and full of yummy ingredients my kids will love. Gathering around the dinner table for some comforting, delicious food is one of the simple ways that can make this transition just a little easier (and tastier!).
I believe in finding the balance between feeding your family nutrient-dense foods and those that honor your time as a busy parent. That’s why I think you’ll really appreciate this recipe and I trust that with the delicious comfort of this casserole, your kids will too!
Because my family lives a Keto lifestyle, I emphasize healthy fats at every meal. The coconut oil, avocado and cheese in this casserole provide a variety of good fats to fuel your metabolism and keep you satiated with calm, stable energy. Protein-rich eggs and grass-fed beef offer omega-3 fatty acids, something you won’t get in conventional, grain-fed beef. The vegetables, herbs, and spices supply a healthy dose of antioxidant-rich polyphenols. The beans provide soluble fiber, wonderful for keeping your microbiome happy as well as a source of carbohydrates to help relax your nervous system at the end of a long day.
My Fat First approach is perfect for a good night’s rest that will allow your kids to start the morning fresh – exactly what your kids need (their teachers will appreciate it too!) If you want more carbohydrates, quinoa or black rice is an excellent whole grain addition to this meal.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ pound cauliflower rice*
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 2 cups arugula (optional)
- 3/4 can black beans, drained and rinsed**
- 1 can mild green chilies
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pasture-raised eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup raw cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven or deep oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Break it up using a wooden spatula, and cook until brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium and add the oil and onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to turn soft. Add bell pepper and zucchini and cook until tender, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and cook for another minute. Add cauliflower rice, bone broth and optional arugula. Once it starts simmering, lower the heat and cover the pan and cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the previously cooked ground beef, black beans and green chilies. Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper, to taste. Add beaten eggs and stir well to make sure eggs are incorporated throughout. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through and the cheese is bubbly and starting to turn golden. Let casserole rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve topped with sliced avocado and cilantro.
*You can make your own cauliflower rice with a food processor or buy already prepared cauliflower rice.
**Look for BPA-free cans whenever possible.
Nutrition Facts: (serving size: 1 serving) Fat: 35 g Protein: 35 g Fiber: 10 g Carb: 26 g Net Carb: 16 g